Place of Performance: NOAA HQ, Silver Spring, MD
Period of Performance: Duration of Contract
Salary based on experience.
Minimum Requirements: a bachelor’s degree in a related field plus two (2) years of relevant experience.
The National Ocean Service (NOS) is a Line Office within the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The NOS is made up of administrative and management staff in the Assistant Administrator’s (AA) front office and several Program Offices; one Program Office in particular is the Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS). The NOS AA suite is also comprised of the Management and Budget Office (MB) which has several divisions: Communications and Education Division (CED), and the Policy and Constituent Affairs Division (PCAD).
The Communications and Education Division serves as the focal point for corporate-level outreach and education efforts to increase awareness of the products, services, and value provided by NOS and its offices; support the NOS and NOAA missions; and enhance ocean and climate literacy. CED is responsible for cross-cutting communications activities, comprehensive educational products and programs, and outreach tools including web sites, print and multimedia products, and curricula. CED assists NOS offices in their outreach and education efforts by developing centralized products and tools and providing technical assistance to office staff.
The employee will function as the Producer/Editor to support the video development for the NOAA Ocean Today kiosk, an interactive, video-driven exhibit that supports ocean literacy in museums and aquariums. This may include:
- Work directly with the Executive Producer to provide support and counsel on storyline development;
- Support research for potential stories and communicate with subject matter experts, before, during, and after video productions;
- Support storyline development and write scripts, including narration and recorded sound bites;
- Serve as videographer shooting video in studio and on-location;
- Determine appropriate visuals from newly created, archived, and third-party assets, and prepare list of footage and visual materials to acquire for the Program Manager;
- Use existing footage, digitize and log all video content within guidelines established for contribution to the Kiosk;
- Manage all video assets, digital archives, and storage of these assets using Adobe Premiere and CatDV software;
- Determine proper formats, metadata, and access levels for all media and users of the assets contained within the CatDV content management system;
- Tracking media ownership and permissions;
- Make video available to NOAA and outside requestors where possible;
- Perform creative video editing, using established editing techniques to promote ocean science learning;
- Adhere to standard production processes and developing content with consistent look and feel;
- Perform end-to-end video editing, from raw footage through finished product;
- Create graphics to support video stories. Work with and/or supervise animators to develop and create informative graphics;
- Perform color correction and audio mixing;
- Develop and follow standards for closed captioning across various distribution platforms, while maintaining “508” compliance;
- Seek out and manage voice-over talent in the recording of narration to support videos or other audio needs;
- Export all videos into multiple formats for distribution to the Ocean Today kiosk and the Ocean Today web site;
- Troubleshoot technical issues with post-production systems and equipment;
- Process digital video/audio files in standard MP4 file format;
- Add real-time captioning (offline) to the video files in the native resolution as received;
- Provide a text transcript in Microsoft Word or PDF format for both video and audio file formats;
- Support the production of short videos for the National Ocean Service; and,
- Operate various studio equipment including the studio video switcher, prompter, and general support for production.
- Other duties as assigned.